From:
Scott Holmes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 May 2015 01:19:46 -0700
Plotting the railway lines that Mark Twain likely traveled on for the
Twain-Cable tour has given me a fresh perspective on just how the tour
may have transpired.  I believe that Twain and Cable departed
Providence, RI the morning of Monday Nov. 10.  They took the train to
Boston, MA and procured accommodations at the Parker House.  They then
proceeded to Melrose for a show at the Town Hall, returning again to
Boston for the night.  The next evening they took a train to Lowell for
the Tuesday show at Huntington Hall, returning again to Boston for the
night. The same procedure Wednesday with a trip to Waltham.  Thursday
was their Boston Music Hall show and Friday a trip to Brockton andback
again that evening.  Saturday they gave a matinée in Boston then
departed the city; George to Simsbury and Sam went back to Hartford via
Providence.

I haven't seen anything indicating that they stayed the night in any of
those cities visited on this portion of the tour, except Boston.
Incidentally, the railway lines I've been mapping all existed in 1870.
I will need to determine if any new lines were created by 1885 and if
any had ceased to operate.