Date:
Sun, 19 Feb 2012 21:51:59 -0800
Or, to quote Papa [Tuesday, July 20, 2010]:****

Remember, in all this we are proceeding along more than one track. There is
the correction of The Hemingway Myth for the sake of providing a model of
completeness that the world misunderstood -- not for the sake of doing me
justice, although there is that, so much as for the sake of providing the
model. The model is *needed!* And to correct the myth, it is necessary to
understand; therefore it can't be a whitewash job, and it can't be
superficial. But it isn't a matter of research for new facts -- mostly it
is a matter of interpreting what is known. That's one strand.****

A second is to provide a model of possibilities, showing how communication
proceeds and showing what can be done, and how easily. This could be a
great encouragement to people. And just as correcting the myth can't be a
whitewash if it is to do any good, so explaining the process can't overlook
the difficulties and pitfalls, which involves your giving the process a
certain amount of thought so as to be useful.****

Then, most important of the three but depending on the other two, this will
provide people with a new model of the physical/non-physical interaction,
hence the true function of 3-D existence, and by implication we will show
that the non-physical exists -- that is, that the afterlife is not only not
a fantasy but is a necessary part of life, without which life wouldn't have
meaning or make any sense. And it will do so in a way that shows that
religious belief was tapping into the same reality.****

Harold K. Bush, Ph.D
Professor of English
Saint Louis University
St. Louis, MO  63108
314-977-3616 (w); 314-771-6795 (h)
<www.slu.edu/x23809.xml>

I hope you'll let us know what other participants on the Hemingway site
say.  In
the passage above, which I gather is supposed to be from Hemingway,
wouldn't people have things to say about style?
I'd be disappointed if somebody could speak from the great beyond and sound
nothing like himself.

I've always wondered how reliable computer
based text analysis is considered.

I also have to admit years ago when I was doing research at the Mark Twain
Papers when Fred Anderson headed it, I came back from a weekend spent at
home in Sacramento to report I'd had a DREAM about Mark Twain.
I've always treasurered the fact Fred said:
"What did he say?"

Arianne Laidlaw