From:
Taylor Roberts <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Sep 2022 13:04:23 -0400
From LOM ch 22 (surely a joke!):

'What is a person to do here when he wants a drink of water?—drink this
slush?'

'Can't you drink it?'

'I could if I had some other water to wash it with.'

Here was a thing which had not changed; a score of years had not affected
this water's mulatto complexion in the least; a score of centuries would
succeed no better, perhaps. It comes out of the turbulent, bank-caving
Missouri, and every tumblerful of it holds nearly an acre of land in
solution. I got this fact from the bishop of the diocese. If you will let
your glass stand half an hour, you can separate the land from the water as
easy as Genesis; and then you will find them both good: the one good to
eat, the other good to drink. The land is very nourishing, the water is
thoroughly wholesome. The one appeases hunger; the other, thirst. But the
natives do not take them separately, but together, as nature mixed them.
When they find an inch of mud in the bottom of a glass, they stir it up,
and then take the draught as they would gruel. It is difficult for a
stranger to get used to this batter, but once used to it he will prefer it
to water. This is really the case. It is good for steamboating, and good to
drink; but it is worthless for all other purposes, except baptizing.