From:
Lawrence Howe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Jan 2015 15:24:47 +0000
Sharon--

Thanks for those links.  The one on flatboats included a still from a 1924 film about Lincoln.  I didn't know about this film prior to this reference, so thanks.  I'd be interested to compare how Lincoln is presented in this film to how he's shown in _Birth of a Nation_.

Both of these links include images of George Bingham paintings.  He was a Missouri artist who did quite a number of paintings of Mississippi River life, especially a series of "Jolly Flatboatmen" paintings between 1848 and 1857, for those who are interested.

Best,

--LH