From:
Lawrence Howe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Jan 2011 10:33:01 -0800
Kevin--

I agree about being supportive of Alan Gribben, even if some of us disagree with his decision on this point.  I think his explanation that his edition serves teachers who would not use the book otherwise has some merit, though I prefer persuasion to capitulation.  His contributions to Twain scholarship over the years are not re-shaped by his involvement in this effort.

Your call for support reminded me of the attacks on Tom Wortham after an article about his collection of Twain memorabilia was circulated. I think it was Gregg Camfield who came to Tom's side on that one.  Sadly, Tom was quoted in the Keith Olberman piece last night.  I don't know if Olberman amped up the tone of Tom's criticism, but I thought it was unfortunate that he was accusing Alan of being a 21st century Bowdler.

--LH