From:
Steve Hoffman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 20 Apr 2012 23:02:36 -0400
I am second to no human being in my love and
admiration for Mark Twain's writings.  Yet I would
agree with critics who say many of his novels are
flawed.

I think there is a simple reason for this.  Twain
was a rather free-form writer.  He was not
schooled in the structure of the novel, and he was
not primarily a novelist.  He started out as a
journalist, a writer of sketches and short
stories, and a lecturer/monologist.   He first
achieved nationwide  success with a collection of
short stories and sketches and with his humorous
journalistic  accounts of travels abroad and out
west.   It wasn't until his 4th book that he even
attempted a novel, and that a collaboration with
another author, not daring to attempt a novel on
his own.  Of his first 10 books, only 3 were
novels written on his own.

There are all sorts of quirks and flaws in his
novels if one looks at them as "novels."

And I personally could care less.  To me, it is
part of Twain's charm and his greatness.  He wrote
what he wrote, and he fact his writing was often
an effort to "unwrite" the way his "betters" wrote.

I do also share the common dissatisfaction with
the concluding portions of Huck Finn.  Not just
for structural reasons but also for its diluting
of the book's clarion message about slavery and
freedom.  However, as people much smarter than me
have pointed out, America in the Reconstruction
Era also failed in its handling of freed
African-Americans and so in that sense the failure
of Huck's later chapters parallels the
disappointment of Reconstruction.  Myself,
however, I believe that above all Twain wanted to
reintroduce his more "acceptable" character Tom
Sawyer into a book whose principal characters were
two social outcasts (a ruffian "white trash" and a
runaway slave).

-Steve Hoffman
Takoma Park MD