From:
"Ladd, Barbara" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Jun 2020 15:39:32 +0000
I've seen this making the rounds. We teach in so many different environments that the answers to the questions you raise will surely be different. As for myself, I will continue to teach her work on occasion--I've never liked her work that much actually, but students are always asking for her--and to ask students what they think about eliminating racist work from the university classroom and for their ideas about how to present it when it is included.

Whenever I teach Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, we talk about the racist language in the text, we look at some of the statements about the issue from both historical and contemporary sources, and students exchange their ideas. I don't often press my own opinion unless asked to do so and then I make it clear to students that my opinion doesn't necessarily need to be theirs (and they tend to believe me, as they should, which tells me that they see me as fair and that makes me very happy). I also tend to teach African American writers and other writers of color in my courses, so they are often reading Susan Choi's The Foreign Student or Linda Hogan's Power or James Weldon Johnson or Toni Morrison or--recently T. Geronimo Johnson, whose Welcome to Braggsville is a good contemporary novel on race and social media and universities. I'm teaching Edna Ferber's Show Boat next fall (the novel and the films and the stage productions) and I don't know WHY I didn't think about teaching that novel alongside Twain's Life on the Mississippi (or at least "Old Times" and a few others chapters from Life-- DON'T scoop me! I want to write about this!)

The opportunity that racism in literature and other cultural forms both historical and contemporary presents for helping students understand it and learn how to debate it--and deal with it in the world around them--is invaluable. These days I do include a statement on my syllabus about the racist language and ideas in some of the texts I teach so that students who choose to can drop the class, which I didn't do 10 years ago.

Aside from the question of O'Connor and Twain in particular, I wonder whether it's possible to distinguish very confidently between racists and non-racists when you are looking at the work of white writers in any historical period following the invention of whiteness. I take your point about on-off switches and "low, medium, and high." It would be interesting to contemplate what an inoffensive or less offensive syllabus might look like and to see how it would be defended.

Of course I teach "southern" literature and race and racism are definitely on the syllabus, and I think that's a good thing for my students.

Anyway, these are questions I think about a lot...so thanks for raising the issue.

Barbara

Barbara Ladd
Professor of English
Emory University