Sender: Mark Twain Forum <[log in to unmask]>
From: Ben Wise <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2008 15:00:49 -0500
It's nice to have a deja vu experience fall over again, especially
this time of year.  I joined this list several years ago just to ask
that question: are there any extant recordings of MT's voice? It was
hard to believe that there weren't, but almost as hard to believe
that, if there were, I hadn't heard about it.  As I learned then, and
I'm sure you will now, the answer, most regrettably and surprisingly,
is no, there aren't.  I'm sure the MT experts on the list will
furnish more details, including some of the false alarms or hoaxes,
as well as the creditable simulation by an actor who'd heard him.  I
think it's one of those that Holbrook might have been referring to.

Best wishes in your quest,

Ben Wise

Keene State College   [log in to unmask]