From:
Mark Dawidziak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Jan 2011 16:34:20 -0500
     Tougher duty, I can't imagine, Tom.
     At the last Elmira gathering, we watched Lou Budd present his dear
friend Tom Quirk with the John S. Tuckey Lifetime Achievement Award. If
memory serves, Lou said he was quite sure Mark Twain would have liked
Tom Quirk as much for his personality as for his literary insight. Those
wonderful words also apply to the fellow who spoke them in August 2009.
     We'll all be struggling with words strong enough and proper enough
to capture what Lou meant as a friend, mentor, teacher, scholar and
author. Memorializing Lou by helping a library seems altogether fitting,
of course, but another kind of towering memorial will unquestionably be
built by Forum members sharing countless instances of Lou's wisdom,
generosity, leadership, thoughtfulness and passion.
     Wiser and more insightful words are already being posted by wiser
and more insightful members of the extended Twain family, but I'll
certainly never forget Lou going out of his way to make a Conference
novice feel welcome and worthy. Although he easily could have assumed
the role of Twainian grand master, he always seemed as excited about
learning new things as he was about sharing his considerable learning.
Indeed, he seemed the epitome of the old line about taking the work
seriously but not yourself. To paraphrase another author, Dickens, tell
me higher praise and I'll use it.