From:
"Carl J. Chimi" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Aug 2012 16:57:39 -0400
I have no doubt you are right.  But help me out here, as my memory probably isn't even what it never used to be.

I remember reading a book I borrowed from a friend.  This would have been in the mid-1980s that I read it.  I think it was a paperback.  It was by Hal Holbrook and I think it was called Mark Twain Tonight.  It was a kind of actor's memoir of how he became an actor and how he developed the Mark Twain character over a period of years.  I have a memory that he talked about his first wife and another that he hated Ernest Tubb's singing voice.

But my most salient memory of that book is that he says in the book that listened to a recording of Samuel Clemens' speaking voice to get the inflections and sound quality right.  I don't remember that he mentioned Gillette or any other imitator, but rather claimed to have heard Twain's recorded voice.

Now, I am probably memory-deficient here.  Or perhaps Mr. Holbrook later clarified or recanted that statement.  But is there not such a statement in that book, assuming there is such a book and I am not just dreaming all of this?  I remember when I read that being tremendously excited at the idea that a recording of the voice existed and could be heard.

I saw Mr. Holbrook twice in the 70s as Mark Twain, and have tickets to see him again this October in Wilkes-Barre, PA.  I've always wondered, did Mark Twain ever actually lecture on the stage at the approximate age that Mr. Holbrook portrays him at, and in that white suit?  I've always assumed that Holbrook's Twain character was portrayed as older than any age at which Clemens was still lecturing for money.  And I've wondered why Holbrook chose that age to portray.  I'd really enjoy seeing a good actor portray the Mark Twain of the early lecturing years, assuming the research and production values were good.

Carl
Not a Twain Scholar, Damn It.  But Only Because I Had No Idea Growing Up It Was Possible To Be One.  So all I do is read lots of books by Twain scholars and toil away in other corridors of academe.

Sent from my iPad