From:
"B.A. Van Der Wel" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Mar 2008 22:45:08 -0700
Greetings All:

I thought I would take my lampshade off long enough to tell you a
short story about why I really became fascinated with Mark Twain as
opposed to merely interested and respectful of his work.

The story is one of a single first day of class in the fall of 1984.
I'd signed up for an English Lit class being taught by a professor
with a grand sounding name, Pascal Covici, Jr. (Those of you who
already know of whom I speak are already smiling.) He came into the
room, checked the class roll, outlined the course for the semester
and then paused as if he'd just thought of something. He slowly
leaned back onto the chalkboard, arranged his lanky frame in a
perfectly tilted pose and started to talk about humor. What makes
something funny? Why exactly? He then proceeded with exceptional
energy and intelligence to dive into the writings or Mark Twain,
tossing off examples from so many books, speeches and articles that I
wouldn't have been able to keep up if I'd been able to try. Instead I
just sat in complete absorption of what he was saying.

After the bell had apparently rung (I don't recall hearing it) I was
still sitting there staring at the far wall, my mind spinning around
in this wonderful new dance I'd just been taught, this cosmic waltz
in which everything seemed wonderfully vivid and possible. Suddenly
my state was broken by a hand on my shoulder. I startled a bit, now
aware the class had left and the only one in the room besides me was
Professor Covici, Jr., now standing with a soft hand on my shoulder
and a broad smile on his face. I remember looking right up into his
eyes and for a profound moment it felt like I really understood
something, and reflected in those soft eyes it was abundantly clear
that he did, too, and had done so for many years.

I don't know if it was the lecture of that day or that moment of
connection but something changed in me, something that has served me
well for a very long time.

This is what teaching can do and I hope that everyone has had at
least one such moment in their lives to share as teacher or student
or both, when knowledge, passion and wisdom are almost tangible in
the room.

There is a Rumi quatrain translated by Coleman Barks that expresses
something of this seeing, this nearly electric stuff that happens
when one's eyes really open if only for a moment:

"Someone who sees you and does not laugh out loud,
or fall silent, or explode in pieces,
is nothing more than the cement
and stone of his own prison."

I shall be forever grateful and humbled for being able to see
something of Professor Covici, Jr., that day and for his taking the
time to see something of me.

Cordially,
Benjamin A. van der Wel