From:
Wesley Britton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Jul 2001 13:05:34 -0500
Judging from postings to me privately and on this Forum, I see a need to
address a more important matter than a long out-dated controversy.

Several folks stated they now feel reluctant to post questions or make
comments in the light of the heavy-duty "war horses" responses to queries.
I deeply hope this doesn't happen.  This issue has arisen before with some
old
types complaining about high school students asking for term paper help to
those who want no discussions at all and simply want to read scholarly
information.  From time to time, lively discussions do erupt over any number
of matters, and no one should feel they are not welcome to pose questions or
contribute to the debate.  Sure, some questions may have been asked before,
and repeatedly, and sometimes referring such questions to our Forum archives
is a good response.  But I hope no non-academic or newbie to the profession
will ever pull back from honest questions or responses to them. Asking what
definitive books are out there was a perfectly valid question and resulted
in the most engaging discussion we've had in ages.  Thanks for asking.

And I thank those who observed that the central point John and I were trying
to make is that we were telling a general reader why we're cautious in the
books to recommend.  Controversy will occur time and time again and there's
nothing wrong with that.  We are, after all, the champions of HUCKLEBERRY
FINN.