From:
Kevin Mac Donnell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Sep 2013 22:20:41 -0500
I can report 8 references in the SF Bulletin between 1855 (the year of
Ludlow's HASHEESH EATER) and 1868 (Twain's final visit to SF), and none
pertain to Twain.

If I can figure out a way to get a sample of Killickinnick tobacco out of my
bundle without damage I'll get it tested and see what else it contained
besides tobacco. Depending on the results I might even smoke some --well,
not really. I once lit up an antique Mark Twain cigar just to see what would
happen and it was so incredibly dry that it burst into flames in my hand
before I could take a drag. This is a problem that you don't face with old
whiskey, unless of course you light it.

Kevin
@
Mac Donnell Rare Books