From:
Harriet Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Nov 2010 17:04:19 -0700
to point out that the beginning of MT's
friendship with Hay is discussed in the MTP
edition of  Roughing It, pp. 828-30.

Mr. Bush expressed uncertainty about where he had
previously seen the passage from the piece "John
Hay," which was one of the dictations that MT
made in Florence in 1904 and selected as part of
his final version of the autobiography. The
complete text of this dictation was published in
Paine's 1924 edition. The version in the North
American Review, however, omits a long passage in
the middle about Hay and Horace Greeley, and
three paragraphs at the end, where MT makes some
interesting remarks about writing as opposed to
dictation. The omitted section begins "Within the
last eight or ten years I have made several
attempts to do the autobiography in one way or
another with a pen, but the result was not
satisfactory" (p. 224 of the MTP edition).

The new critical edition provides background
information about the history of the text. The
online textual apparatus (at
marktwainproject.org) makes note of what was
omitted from the NAR chapter (where it was paired
with excerpts from two April 1906 dictations
about MT's brother Orion). The textual commentary
explains that when preparing the text for the
magazine, MT wrote on the original typescript,
"Of this instalment I have struck out more than 3
pages. Mark." Every revision that he made in the
text is listed. In addition, the list of variants
shows that a phrase in the typescript
text--"instead of an ungrateful one"
(224.17)--was omitted from the NAR proofs, and
the same sentence was cut further before
publication: the phrase "and would be President
next year if we were a properly honest and
grateful nation" (224.16–17) is not found at all
in the NAR. The source of these revisions, which
are not on any extant document, was probably
someone at the NAR. Clemens himself made no
revisions on this portion of the proofs.

Harriet Smith