From:
Hal Bush <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Nov 2019 18:57:46 +0000
Kevin, thanks for your thoughts. All due respect, but I think calling Harriet (which evidently, you have not even seen yet) "historical junk" is a bit over the top here.  Personally, I think there is a lot about the film that is admirable.  But I believe that your demands for pure historicity at all costs (and otherwise, the film is junk) are unfair to popular film genres like this one.   I guess, as with chicken, swallow the meat and spit out the bones, I guess.

Your strong rebuke about the black slave catchers is one of the major issues with the film, of course.  Generally, I also dislike just making up a character;  but in historical films, this is a fairly common narrative device.

But it turns out, since you asked, that black slave catchers evidently did in fact exist (though the numbers were small): as several articles in recent days have documented.  One thing is, featuring this character (although it's not a huge role, but not many lines) does I think presents an even more complex & divided version of African American life at that time.  From an article on Slate (a good article to see a number of historical questions listed):

Joshua Rothman, the chair of the University of Alabama history department, told me in an email that “there were surely black slave catchers”:

"It would be tricky for such people to operate in the South itself, because in most parts of the South, whites assumed all black people they didn’t know were slaves, and there are plenty of cases of free black people taken into custody, thrown in jail, and sold as slaves themselves. But outside of the South, or even in border states, we know that rings of kidnappers used free black people to lure in their prey, who were far more likely to trust a black person than a white one and who wouldn’t realize they’d been duped until they were en route to being sold as a slave. … And no doubt there were free black people who just decided to do the work themselves and keep all the reward money.

Manisha Sinha, author of The Slave’s Cause: A History of Abolition<http://www.amazon.com/dp/0300227116/?tag=slatmaga-20>, agreed that such people existed but suggested there weren’t many: “There were a few free blacks who were involved in kidnapping rings especially in Northern and border state cities. But they were few and far between and subject to reprisals from a fairly well organized free black community. Many more of course were involved in assisting fugitive slaves and in the abolitionist underground.”

Dr. Hal Bush

Professor of English &

Director of the Undergraduate Program

Saint Louis University