From:
John Davis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Jul 1997 15:19:41 -0500
I ask your help.  I have based the title of an upcoming paper on two
quotations from Mark Twain, but I cannot now recall where I read
one of them.  The first is Twain's explanation of Lord Byron's
famous assertion:  "Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because
fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; truth isn't."  I have
found it in "Pudd'nhead Wilson's New Calendar."

The other quotation is "Truth is more of a stranger than fiction."  I
have looked through both the old and new Wilson calendars, into -Life
As I Find It-, Paine's -Biography- (probably not thoroughly enough),
-Mark Twain A to Z-, - MT Encyclopedia- (though I wasn't
exactly sure how to look in the latter two), and some other places.

I am certain that the statement is Twain's.  Can anyone tell me where
it is to be found?  If so, I would be most appreciative.

Thanks,

John Davis