From:
John Bird <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Feb 2013 17:21:13 -0500
At great hazard, I risk contradicting Kevin about anything, Twain or music.
But--at a certain level, it is not that hard for a guitar player to play
banjo, as in strum rudimentary chords. If Mark Twain did ever try to play
the banjo, and if he could play some on the guitar, he could easily pick up
some banjo chords. What Kevin refers to is playing three-finger bluegrass
banjo, something that did not exist until the 1930s or 1940s. Earl Scruggs
learned from people surrounding him in Flint Hill, NC, notably Snuffy
Jenkins, and then perfected his amazing technique. Banjoists in the
19th-century were either strumming chords (not that hard to get the
rudiments of) or doing some kind of frailing (later called clawhammer). But
we digress far afield from Mr. Mark Twain...

John Bird
--former banjo strummer in a Dixieland band, living proof a guitarist can
make the switch
--and that was on a tenor banjo, which did not come about until the early
20th century