From:
Robert E Stewart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Nov 2014 18:09:56 -0500

Clearly I used the wrong  text format. Trying again in what I hope is plain
 text.
Nevada was admitted to the Union  on October 31, 1864. In honor of the
Sesquicentennial, longtime Nevada Author  and Publisher Stanley Paher has
compiled "Nevadans; The Spirit of the Silver  State. (ISBN 978-0-913814-97-0.
Jacket price is $39.95; [log in to unmask]  Indexed, heavily illustrated, with
232 9" by 12"  pages.
It contians writing by a number  of noted Nevada writers. Dave Basso wrote
the two-page essay on Mark Twain as a  "Nevada Newsmaker:, in which he
reports Twain was not beloved by all during his  20 months with the Territorial
Enterprise.
I have worked with, and wryiten  for, Stan's Nevada Publications since the
1960s, and I provided two essays for  this work (Early Land Surveys in
Nevada, and 19th Century Communications). I  also provided, at Stan's request, a
half page write-up for the "History  Hunting: section on the how and where
of Sam Clemens' Tahoe campsite. That  section suggests a number of
history-related locations in Nevada worth  visiting.
I have never claimed to have  located the documentation leading to that
site by myself, and in the text I note  the names of key members of the team
that did the archive searches that located  the documentation leading to the
campsite.
My own writing aside, the volume  is a treasure-trove of Nevada history all
presented in a highly readable vormat,  and well illustrated. It arrived
from Nevada Publications just in time for  Christmas giving.
Robert  Stewart
Carson  City.
"[Mark Twain] made no real  pretense to accuracy of time, place, or
circumstance, seeking, as he said, 'only  to tell a good story." Albert B. Paine,
Biography.