Sender:
From:
"Carol J. Peiffer" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Nov 1998 23:22:45 -0500
Depending on the students, I think Huck Fimm is suitable for any age, as
long as students can make sens of it.  I know the language is difficult for
some.

In the middle school where I teach art, one team of 7th graders read Huck
Finn.  The teachers created an interdisciplinary unit.  The Social Studies
teacher started by teaching about slavery and the climate of the day.  They
discussed the "nigger" references in an historical light.  The math classes
calculated mileage down the Mississippi.  I can't remember the Science
tie-in, but those classes did some related project or assignments.

The Language Arts classes had the gifted students read the entire book.
Regular students read an abridged version.  Students with learning
disabilities read summaries.  The students wrote a play based on Huck Finn.
Parents were invited to see the performance. The music classes performed
songs from the pre-Civil War era during scene changes.

As far as I know, there was not one parent complaint about using the book
---and I work in a school district where one vocal parent can result in
immediate changes in policy.

C.J. Peiffer