From:
Lawrence Howe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Jan 2015 13:59:55 +0000
Hal--

You may be right that "pretty much everyone knew about Lincoln's raft trips," but all of the examples you list are presidents whose campaigns were in the era of modern media saturation.  Campaigns in the nineteenth century don't really compare with those we experience now.  And even given that, I'm not sure "everyone knows" that Reagan was a football announcer; it's true that he was, but I suspect that people are more familiar with his early career as a radio broadcaster recreating Cubs games from ticker-tape accounts.

Is there evidence of how common the knowledge of AL's raft trips was?

Best,

--LH
Larry Howe
Professor of English
Chair, Department of Literature and Languages
Roosevelt University

Fulbright Distinguished Chair in American Studies, Syddansk Universitet--Odense, 2014-15