YORK-ANNOUNCE-L Archives

York U. announcements list - READ ONLY

YORK-ANNOUNCE-L@YORKU.CA

From:
Susan Spence <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
York U. announcements list - READ ONLY
Date:
Tue, 30 May 1995 16:38:18 +0000
We have just learned that a computer hacker has gained access to a number of CCIS
administered systems on campus and complied a list of passwords foraccounts on
these systems.

In order to shut down this activity we have taken York off the Internet so
effectively immediately, there is no inbound or outbound network traffic.  This
includes telnet, rlogin, email, etc.  Electronic mail within the York campus
network is not affected.  We have also shut down the modem pool for approx. an
hour so we can be assured that the individual cannot access York using that
facility.

CCIS personnel are now reviewing the activity logs to determine which
accounts and passwords have been recorded by the hacker.   If an account has
been compromised they will proceed to change the password immediately in
order to plug the security leak as quickly as possible.

If you are unable to log into your account, please contact Help Services at
ext. 55800 for the new password.  We apologize for any inconvience this may
cause.  Please feel free to forward this notice to others.

Susan Spence
Director, User Services
Computing, Communications & Instructional Services