YORK-ANNOUNCE-L Archives

York U. announcements list - READ ONLY

YORK-ANNOUNCE-L@YORKU.CA

From:
Marshal Linfoot <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
York U. announcements list - READ ONLY
Date:
Fri, 14 Mar 1997 14:22:03 GMT
Core dump files (files with the name "core") are created by UNIX processes
under certain conditions when processes terminate abnormally.  The core dump
file will contain process information that might be useful to a programmer or
analyst attempting to diagnose a problem.  For the rest of us, core dump files
are a nuisance, consuming valuable space in our home directories.

We will be changing the default system behaviour on CCS administered UNIX
systems (eg.  mail servers, Phoenix, etc.)  to prevent the creation of core
dump files and to reduce unneccessary disk usage.  If you wish instead, to have
core dump files created as before, update your .cshrc file with a line like
either of the following:

  limit coredumpsize unlimited      % as before
  limit coredumpsize 10             % 10K max size for any core dump files

Please contact the Help Desk if you have any questions.

--
Marshal Linfoot                            Phone: (416) 736-5257 x22691
Manager, UNIX Technical Support            FAX:   (416) 736-5701