YORK-ANNOUNCE-L Archives

York U. announcements list - READ ONLY

YORK-ANNOUNCE-L@YORKU.CA

From:
James Savage <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
York U. announcements list - READ ONLY
Date:
Tue, 30 May 1995 15:28:32 UNDEFINED
               ****** ATTENTION high-speed modem users ******

    It is York University's intention to have a V.34 28.8 kbps modem pool
available for September 1995.  We are in the process of evaluating the
offerings from different vendors but have not yet made a selection.  If you
plan to purchase a 28.8 kbps modem in the near future, please exercise
extreme caution.  Make sure that the model you are considering is ITU-T
(formerly CCITT) V.34 COMPLIANT.  The ITU-T is the governing body that
oversees the establishment of international communications standards.
    There are several proprietary high-speed modulation schemes on the market
from various vendors (eg. V.FC, V.FAST, V.TERBO, etc).  These alternatives are
NOT compatible with the ITU-T V.34 standard.  It has always been York's policy
to adhere to international standards which, in the case of 28.8 kbps
transmission, is V.34.
    It is possible that the V.34 modems selected for our pool MAY also support
one or more of the proprietary schemes, but users should not make this
asumption.  A good rule of thumb for York dial-up users is to look for ITU-T
compliancy and to remember that you usually get what you pay for.