YORK-ANNOUNCE-L Archives

York U. announcements list - READ ONLY

YORK-ANNOUNCE-L@YORKU.CA

From:
Marion Stehouwer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
York U. announcements list - READ ONLY
Date:
Wed, 24 Apr 1996 19:26:58 +0000
The Student Account Management System (SAMS) has been revised for the
Summer term. This revised version will be in effect beginning Monday,
April 29. We are interested in testing this new procedure for account
creation for the summer term so that by fall we have identified and
corrected any problems. The major change to procedure is in the creation
of phoenix accounts for students. In the past we have processed course
lists and passed on the phoenix accounts to the instructor. Due to the
enourmous amount of phoenix accounts that are created, there is some
concern that we not discontinue this practice. I would very much
appreciate your input on this matter, and also hope to evaluate this in
the summer term.
Thanks!!!

SAMS provides a method for any registered York student to request the
creation of computer accounts for their academic use on selected CCS
supported computing facilities. Students are assigned a unique YU
numbered userid (eg. yu123456) which is used as their account name on
the systems they select.

The changes in this revised version of SAMS are:

1. E-Mail Account Prerequisite

Students will now be required to have an e-mail account before they can
request an account on any of the other CCS supported computing
facilities. This will help to ensure that they can be contacted in
regards to their other accounts as needed. For example, the e-mail
account might be used to notify them when their high-speed modem account
is about to expire.

2. Phoenix Account Creation

Phoenix accounts can now be requested by the student. CCS will no longer
be creating Phoenix accounts based on course enrollment. Faculty who
wish to have their students use the Phoenix facility for course related
work, should instruct the students to register for an account using
SAMS.

3. Improved Screen Information

The SAMS screens will now have information to assist the student in the
selection of their accounts. This information will explain how the YU
userid is used, why an e-mail account is required before other accounts
can be created, and the purpose of other accounts (Phoenix, Apollo,
TACACS, etc.).

You can telnet to SAMS from any location. If you require additional
information about SAMS, please contact CCS Help Services.

Marion Stehouwer                            *****PLEASE NOTE*****
Email Project Coordinator         MY NEW EMAIL ADDRESS IS [log in to unmask]
CCIS, rm T103, Steacie
ext# 33802