On Thu, 20 Apr 2000, Peter G. Stillman wrote:

> My question (I am a historian of political philosophy, not an
> economist!) is, why and how could they argue that overproduction
> was impossible?

Because they were arguing that overproduction *in general* was
impossible. At a high enough level of abstraction, the logic is quite
unassailable. If one accepts that an economy is a logical structure rather
than a human cultural and social artifact, overproduction IS impossible.
Of course, the road leading up to that high a level of abstraction is full
of potholes and unbridgable chasms. But once there, the view is
breathtaking.

Tom Walker