Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2000 13:59:30 -0400
From: Helmut Kuhn <[log in to unmask]>
To: Helmut Kuhn <[log in to unmask]>
CC: Debbie Grisdale <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: PGS Globe & Mail Ad

Debbie Grisdale at Physicians for Global Survival  gave me your name and
e-mail address to invite you to share in this year's PGS Ad campaign and
to distribute notice of the campaign to your network of friends,
colleagues and organizations.

Last year's ad campaign, when we used Maclean's magazine, had broad
support and we think was part of the success in getting a more
progressive Canadian policy on nuclear weapons.  Senator Douglas Roche
took the ad into the Senate a couple of weeks before the policy
announcement, read the message and drew attention to the 1200 names that
had sponsored the ad.

As you will see below, this year's ad will be associated with the
anniversaries of the bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

The ad announcement/promotion below is in a format that can be simply
transmitted by e-mail.  It prints on 2 pages.  I have a file which puts
the description and reply coupon on one page.  This would print well for
handing out to folks.  If you can use it, I'll send it on request.

Thanks for whatever help you can give to this year's nuclear disarmament
ad campaign.

Peace...
Helmut Kuhn
Phone 613-747-9772
E-mail <[log in to unmask]>
______________________

FOR A NUCLEAR-WEAPON-FREE WORLD!

A THOUSAND NAMES * A THOUSAND PAPER CRANES

PGS Ad 2000!  Have you signed up for the Ad 2000 Campaign yet?

Here's the story.

A THOUSAND NAMES...

On Saturday, August 5, Physicians for Global Survival (Canada) will
place a half-page (or larger) public awareness ad in the Globe & Mail
national edition.  The ad will call Canadians to remember the suffering
and destruction caused by the two atom bombs dropped on the Japanese
cities of Hiroshima and Nagasaki on August 6 and 9 in 1945, and to
affirm the vow inscribed on the A-bomb Cenotaph in Hiroshima: "We shall
not repeat this evil".  The ad will draw public attention to the great
risk posed by the continued existence of huge nuclear arsenals capable
of incinerating life on earth many times over, and to the possession of
nuclear weapons by an increasing number of countries.  And it will point

to the fact that a world free of nuclear weapons is a realistic option
that governments must be forced to pursue.

We are urgently seeking 1000 names, each contributing $30 to help
finance the ad.  Contributors for the ad will receive:
1. a charitable tax receipt;
2. one of the 28,800 paper cranes folded by students at a Japanese high
    school for a giant mural entitled "For the Future";
3. a picture of the mural with a short account of its creation.

A THOUSAND PAPER CRANES...

SADAKO'S STORY.  Sadako Sasaki was two when the atom bomb was exploded
over Hiroshima on August 6, 1945.  She was not one of the 100,000 early
victims of the bomb.  At age 12, however, she developed the "atom bomb
disease," leukemia.  She prayed to be made well, and started folding the

1000 paper cranes that Japanese legend held might help to realize her
prayer.  Sadako died before her project was complete.  Children at her
school completed folding the cranes which were then buried with her.
Around the world today, people fold paper cranes in remembrance of
Sadako and to express their desire for a nuclear-weapon-free world.

PLEASE COMPLETE THE SIGN-UP FORM BELOW TO BE INCLUDED
IN THE ONE THOUSAND NAMES.  THEN SUBMIT THE FORM VIA...

- E-MAIL with your credit card information (VISA or Mastercard) to
   <[log in to unmask]>                    OR
- SNAIL-MAIL with your cheque to PGS., Ste.208, 145 Spruce St.,
   Ottawa, ON, K1R 6P1                   OR
- FAX with your credit card information to PGS at 613-233-9028     OR
- PHONE with credit card information to PGS at 613-233-1982.

DEADLINE IS JULY 28, BUT TODAY IS BETTER.
(Note: All contributions to PGS are tax creditable. Gov't.
Reg. No. BN10784-2684-RR0001)

SIGN-UP FORM----------------------------------------------------------

_____YES, include me in the 1000 names for Ad 2000: "We shall not repeat

this evil" and send me the Japanese folded paper crane and my official
income tax receipt.
To include ADDITIONAL NAMES, please list them below ($30 per name):

I enclose my cheque for $__________ ($30 for each name to be included)

OR Please charge my contribution to my _____VISA    _____MasterCard

Postal Code_____________  Phone # (optional)___________________

ADDITIONAL NAMES (please include address if you want the paper crane
sent directly to the person instead of to yourself):