I admit I knew nothing of Charles neider's passing until I read Kent's note,
and I second his feeling we all owe much to Neider.  For many years,
neider's collections were the most readily accessible source for much of
Twain's shorter works, and my bookcase has many of the editions Kent listed.
I particularly
remember enjoying and benefiting from THE OUTRAGEOUS MARK TWAIN when I was
working on my dissertation. I am also grateful for PAPA, a sad and poignant
volume.  As recent Forum comments indicate, his version of the AUTOBIOGRAPHY
is still widely in favor, although I agree some of his later efforts were
much less credible.

Speaking of Twainians past, I still think we should come up with some way to
recognize Darryl Baskin, the man who shaped the first Elmira conference that
set the stage for all that followed.