Hi, William. You gave us an interesting topic not only for public health but healthy society, economy and politics. It is no doubt that ideology is a sensitive theme. Actually, Falungong in China is a perfect example about myths and beliefs.

There are being lots of news and comments on Falungong in media. Most of them have focused on the influence in politics or " human right", they are more interested in what the Chinese government had done for the prectisers of Falungong. They did not notice and realize the significant impacts on public health and the development of economy.

Mr. Li, "founding father of Falungong" in which he named himself, had told people who practiced Falungong that this practice can not only keep fit but cure many sorts of diseases, especially chronic diseases if they kept practicing. He and some initiators of Falungong told people some fantastic stories to make people believe them. First, they delivered many papers that were free. They sold these papers or books in unreasonable price. It is more important that many people stopped take medicine for their diseases, such as hypertension, C.H.D, even tumour. It led that many people lost their chances to live longer. In addition, many people with low income have bad health. Because they can not offer the expenses of the treatment, they preferred to practice Falungong to save money.

We are doing this course called health promotion. It is easy to see that health promotion fit in this problem of ideology and challenges for health promotion is likely to face now and in future.

1. Reform the medical policy ---- policy makers

2. Strengthen health education ---- educators

3. Health propaganda ---- media

4. Improve economy ---- government, community, individuals.