Jim, I am not so sure that Twain was mistaken about US intentions in Cuba. You have lumped Cuba together with "other Spanish colonies" and confused the issue here. Of course, Twain was oppossed to the US dominating other countries. But again, he supported liberating efforts. You seem to not have given the US a chance to prove intentions in the current situation. It seems we did everything we could to liberate the Iraqis and now we are doing our part to help them toward a self-governing position. At the same time, we are moving troops out of the area as quickly as deemed safe and possible. Twain's support for liberating Cuba points the way to what can ideally be accomplished--without later imperialistic moves. I believe we are meeting that liberating ideal to the best of our abilities behind President Bush's leadership. I hope the Iraqis do read Joan of Arc. Then, they will be able to overthrow future tyrants such as Saddam, without our help and sacrifice. I see no reason to believe that we will be the tyrants or the imperialists--as you seem so willing to assume. Jason G. Horn Associate Professor of English Division of Humanities Gordon College Barnesville, Georgia 30204