Bob, Twain did not support the war in the Philippines. He saw this as an imperialistic move by the United States. But he could, and did, support war if it meant freedom for an oppressed people. And, I would argue then, that Twain would support our current action in Iraq. He could not praise Amerca enough for its action in the Spanish- American War. In 1898, he wrote his minister friend Joseph Twichell that " I have never enjoyed a war--even in written history--as I am enjoying this one." For, as he continued, "this is the worthiest one that was ever fought, so far as my knowledge goes. It is a worthy thing to fight for one's freedom; it is another sight finer to fight for another man's freedom. And I think this is the first time it has been done" (Mark Twain's Letters, ed Paine, p 663). I, for one, believe we can count our latest actions as a country as another event fought for another's freedom. Twain found it necessary to defend his country's action to liberate Cuba from Spanish oppression, especially European attacks (not the least being those of the French). In an essay he addressed to Americans living in Europe, he rephrased attacks on American integrity and cast them sarcastically back at Europeans: ""Brutal, base, dishonest? We? Land thieves? Shedders of innocent blood? We? Traitors to our official word? We?" One only needs to read Twain's Innocents Abroad to discover that these words, in Twain's view, fit Europeans much better than Americans. True enough, Twain was just as vehemently against the annexation of overseas territories as he was patriotically for the liberation of Cuba. He could weigh situations and speculate on consequences and actions--and yes, he could be for war at one time and against it at another. So we might do well to follow his example. Why enlist him on one side or another. This over-simplifies him-- flattens his mind and cheapens his spirit. But he could be the Patriot, and the one book of his that he liked the best is his biography of Joan of Arc. In this book, Twain continualy focuses on the genius of Joan's patriotism and her ability to consider carefully a situation and then act decisively--qualities Twain admired in great individuals. At the conclusion of his book on Jaon, Twain puts it this way: "With Joan of Arc love of country was more than a sentiment--it was a passion. She was the Genius of Patriotism--she was Patriotism embodied, concreted, made flesh, and palpable to the touch and visible to the eye." "And in her hand," Twain concludes, "the sword that severed her country's bonds--shall not this, and no other, stand for Patriotism through all the ages until time shall end? (Joan of Arc 425). I hope I have avoided making any personal attacks. And I hope we can now find it amusing that those who selectively quote Twain to support anti-war sentiments can be countered by those words they overlooked. Jason Jason G. Horn Associate Professor of English Division of Humanities Gordon College Barnesville, Georgia 30204