As I devoted much time to this question during the decade 1983/1993, I came
back briefly to this point esp. to some points which are still not clear to
me: Michel Volle, a French economist and statistician who took part to a
symposium about history of economic statistics in France (see Pour une
histoire de la statistique. Tome 1. Insee, Imprimerie Nationale, 593 pp.
1976, reprinted by the publishing house economica, paris, 1987) in a paper
Naissance de la statistique industrielle (1930-50), 327-366, mentionned as
the origin of contemporary concern with industrial statistics (including
"industries" sectors branch) the international convention signed in 1928 in
Geneve - society of nations) which included a plan to develop comparisons
of industrial production etc. the text of this convention is to be found :
http://www.admin.ch/ch/f/rs/0_632_14/
(probably an english version of this treatise in which the king of Britain
made a reservation for English colonies !! is to be found somewhere on the
internet) It seems very likely that this is the true origin of concern in
Britain with (branch, sectors, etc.) as a response to the demand of this
1928 treatise. For a more remote concern with industrial statistics, see in
the same proceedings (1977 -1987) Tihomir Markowitch, Statistiques
industrielles et
systèmes politiques, 317-326

Markowitch draws an interesting comparisons between French and British
industrial statistics : It seems that French industrial statistics appeared
very soon as a consequence of etatism, colbertism etc..  On the contrary,
industrial statistics in Uk were to appear very lately as the mood was
liberal (and against any intervention of state). Markowitch quotes as a
proof of his assertion Ph. Deane & W.A. Cole, British economic growth,
1688-1959, snd edition, Cambridge, 1969 and his own Tihomir Markowitch,
Histoire des
industries françaises, Droz, Genève, 1976.

Alain ALCOUFFE