Sorry to be delayed in replying.

My question had its source in my experience teaching price theory to
elementary students.  Some of them find the use of a utility based
explanation of economic behavior fascinating.  Yet,  some of them quite
evidently had never perceived that they were behaving according to the
description provided by the orthodox description of  "Economic Man."   If
they were accurately reporting their "inner world" it was a world in which
they had not been aware of having been processing utilities in the course
of making decisions.

Perhaps if they had been asked about their mental world after having had
the price theory course, then they might have reported weighting utilities
and ratios of prices, and calculating budgets.  I understand that some MBA
believe, or at least say they believe  that this is what they are actually
doing.

The  meaning of utility would seem to be entirely a learned and cultural
artifact rather than a question of innate physiology or psychology.  Sort
of like the Easter Bunny.

Bill Williams