Hi- When I perform this story as part of my re-creation of Twain, at the end I often tell the students that some folks don't like the story's ending, and some folks don't feel it really has a proper ending. So, I tell them, you finish the story. For instance, what is the story concerning that yellow cow with one eye, anyway. And, what happens after Smiley chases out of the saloon.. does he catch the stranger, if so what happens, and so forth. I (as Twain) tell them I took the story the way I heard it and made changes to make it my own, so they are welcome to do it with my version. This is for the elementary and middle schools students I work with. Best Regards, Tom Swenson aka Mark Twain, aka Sam Clemens...