A bit behind in my reading, I just ran across a review of the Grant and
Twain book from the June 6, 2004 New York Times Book Review. Don't have a
copy with the particulars in front of me, but the gist is that reviewer felt
the book was all about Grant and the title is a misnomer. In his view, Twain
is but a supporting character who comes off as a "vulture" waiting for the
Grant MS to publish. The reviewer found the book to be readable, a bit
slight, and far from proving the idea that the relationship was all that
important. In this view, Grant comes across as a heroic figure racing to
finish his book before cancer killed him.

Wes Britton