To the Mayor and City Council

Ottawa

Dear Ladies and Gentlemen:

On behalf of the Archives Association of Ontario, representing the archival
community of Ontario, I am writing to you concerning our apprehension about
the future of Ottawa's city archives.

As you are no doubt aware, archives are a crucial element in ensuring the
continuity and accountability of programmes, government and culture.  It is
with great concern, that the Archives Association of Ontario questions the
future of Ottawa's archival programme.

It is our understanding that the City of Ottawa is presently considering
relocating the City Archives, temporarily at least, to a location in the
east on Blair Road.  As a temporary measure, we think that this location is
inadequate and inconvenient, but what is worse, carrying out such a stop-gap
measures must reflect some of the decreased value placed upon Archives, a
valuation which is seriously out of line with the needs and interests of
your constituents.

Archives are an invaluable resource for the city and the community and
increasing usage of this resource reflects the increasing interest our
history, our society and our culture, as well as a more sophisticated
understanding of the utility of Archives.  As Sir Arthur Doughty, one of
Ottawa's more notable former citizens wrote: "Of all national assets
archives are the most precious; they are the gift of one generation to
another and the extent of our care of them marks the extent of our
civilization."

I know that the City of Ottawa should and must recognize the value of its
archival resources, and should plan accordingly to provide proper
facilities, convenient to all, to house such a resource.   Accordingly, we
look forward with great interest to the future actions of the Ottawa City
Council as your activities will determine whether Ottawa remains a beacon of
civilization, or whether you shall neglect to care for the gift previous
generations have bestowed upon you, the documentary heritage and history of
your community.

Yours Sincerely

Michael Fish,

President