My recollection is that there is a good discussion of the concept of a
"school of economics" in Schumpeter's History of Economic Analysis.  I
can't lay my hands on the precise location quickly, but I bet that some of
our colleagues can.  It is somewhat consistent with the "national meaning"
of a school developed by Szaki that Schulz referenced, expect that it is
more grounded in a specific place.

What I recall Schumpeter saying is that a "school" is a sociological
phenomenon, and so regular exchange among members would be necessary; maybe
a place-oriented view like this breaks down in the age of the internet.  A
broader view, however, might be to think of a school as a strategic group,
much as in the economics (and business) literature tied to Michael Porter.

This is a great question Jim, I am very interested in learning what you
turn up!

Bruce Larson
University of North Carolina at Asheville