Christina - it is an interesting area.

Reserach of SoDH has arguably focused more on predictors of poor health
not actual causative factors and mechanisms. This means we have lots of
data on who the vulnerable populations are or are likely to be in future
but little understanding of the complex interplay of causative factors
causing outcomes and how we can best facilitate change at different
levels.

These outcomes are not produced in simple ways and not everything that is
important can be quantified. Though outcomes are influenced by sex, age,
race and culture etc all these variations also exist in the individual. I
find the following papers really useful on understanding this complexity-

Forbes A, Wainwright SP. On the methodological, theoretical and
philosophical context of health inequalities research: a critique. Social
Science and Medicine 2001;53:801-816.

 Macintyre S, Ellaway A, Cummins S. Place effects on health : how can we
conceptualise, operationalise and measure them? Social Science and
Medicine 2002;55:125-139.

 Macintyre S, Chalmers I, Horton R, Smith R. Using evidence to inform
health policy: case study. British Medical Journal 2001;322:222-224.

Wainwright SP. A new paradigm for nursing : The Potential of realism.
Journal of Advanced Nursing 1997(26):1262-1271.

Wainwright SP, Forbes A. Philosophical problems with social research on
health inequalities. Health Care Analysis 2000;8:259-277.

Dr Alex Clark

4th Floor Clinical Sciences Building
Faculty of Nursing
University of Alberta