At 11/11/2004 10:16 AM -0500, you wrote:
Or better worded, did its Press Release do so?
 American Public Health Association Concludes 132nd Annual Meeting; 14,500
Public Health Professionals Attend, Association Adopts 20 New Policies -
11/10/2004 3:40:00 PM

To: National Desk, Health Reporter

Contact: American Public Health Association Press Office, 202-249-4150, or
Sabrina Jones of the American Public Health Association, 202-777-2509

WASHINGTON, Nov. 10, /U.S. Newswire/ -- The American Public Health
Association (APHA) concludes its 132nd Annual Meeting here today where
nearly 14,500 public health professionals from around the world came
together to share the latest in public health research and practice. Many
of the more than 900 scientific sessions focused on the meeting's theme,
"Public Health and the Environment."

"Our environment is inextricably linked to human health," said Georges C.
Benjamin, M.D., FACP, executive director of the American Public Health
Association. "The quality of the air we breathe, the food we eat and the
water we drink are leading indicators of health outcomes. The built
environment has also emerged as a major public health concern. By
developing more livable, walkable communities, we can help improve health
status."
The policies newly adopted also include:

-- Developing a Comprehensive Public Health Approach to Influenza
Vaccination, which encourages the expansion of the U.S. capacity to respond
to the current vaccine shortage and to better prepare for an influenza
pandemic;

-- Creating Transportation Systems and Policies that Promote Public Health,
which calls for improving linkages between the fields of public health,
transportation and land use to improve the built environment to help stem
the obesity epidemic; and

-- Support for Nutrition Labeling in Fast-Food and Other Chain Restaurants,
which calls on restaurants and fast food chains to improve the nutritional
quality of their food and provide consumers with the nutrition information
of the foods they serve.

In addition, highlights of the five-day meeting included the following
report releases:

-- APHA with Research America released results of a nationwide survey on
Americans' attitudes toward public health. For complete poll results, visit
http://www.researchamerica.org.

Alice Furumoto-Dawson, Ph.D.
Society, Human Dvlpmt & Health Dept
Harvard School of Public Health
Boston, MA
------------------- Problems/Questions? Send it to Listserv owner: [log in to unmask]

To unsubscribe, send the following message in the text section -- NOT the subject header -- to [log in to unmask] SIGNOFF SDOH

To subscribe to the SDOH list, send the following message to [log in to unmask] in the text section, NOT in the subject header. SUBSCRIBE SDOH yourfirstname yourlastname

To receive messages only once a day, send the following message to [log in to unmask] SET SDOH DIGEST