For several years I have been teaching courses in the history of economic
thought in Toulouse. I don't forget to mention that Adam Smith stayed in
Toulouse several months. Unfortunately I cannot find any traces of this visit in
the local archives.

As far as I remember, when I looked at the index of his correspondence,
Toulouse is scarcely mentioned in a letter to Hume, even if he celebrates the
management of the Canal du Midi in the Wealth of Nations.

I wonder if there is any evidence that he could have met Etienne Charles Lomenie
de Brienne, who was archbishop of Toulouse (1763?88)? (Unfortunately I do not
have any edition of Smith's correspondence at hand and forgot to check it when I
had). I will be thankful for your help and any other suggestions.

Alain Alcouffe