Hello everyone,

Jeff O'Brien has sent out a message (below) asking for news items from municipal archives across Canada.  He will collect these stories and send them out next week.

This is a great opportunity for municipal archivists in Ontario to share your experiences with our colleagues.  All you need to do is write 2 - 3 lines and send it to Jeff at [log in to unmask].  The deadline for this is Monday, October 15.

If you have more to say, give us the details by sending it to the AAO list.

If the ACA-AAO Conference this summer is any indication, archivists aren't shy.  So let's hear what you are up to.

Have a great weekend.

David Sharron
MAIG chair

__________________________________

David Sharron

Head of Special Collections and Archives

James A. Gibson Library

Brock University

St. Catharines, Ontario

905-688-5550 x3264

Hello Municipal Archivists:

At the meeting of the Municipal Archives Special Interest Section at ACA this past June, it was suggested that the public profile of municipal archives in Canada was somewhat limited, even among archivists. We decided that a short, weekly or monthly column on ARCAN-L detailing the activities of municipal archives could be a useful public awareness tool within the archival community.

Ideally, such a column would be short, direct, and accessible. For that reason, the format would be 2-3 line bullet-point items in the body  of the email, with the whole thing not more than 1-2 printed pages long.

I volunteered to run the column on a pilot basis to see what sort of interest existed. I advertised this on the list this summer and unfortunately received very minimal response. I still think it's a good idea, however, and thus am again requesting input from my fellow municipal archivists on this subject.

If you think that this is a worthwhile initiative, then please fire me off a couple of lines about what you've been up to this past month (or what you have coming up, or something interesting that has happened that you'd like to share).  If I haven't received enough responses to post a column by the time the end of the day on Monday, October 15, then I am going to assume that people aren't interested and will drop the idea.

Please feel free to forward this letter to any Municipal Archivists out there who you know aren't on ARCAN-L.

So… ring those phones.

Jeff

J. Jeffrey O'Brien, City Archivist
City of Saskatoon Archives