Good afternoon,

Please be advised that there is a potential labour dispute which will affect GO Transit bus service to York University.  Members of Local 1587 of Amalgamated Transit Union employed by GO Transit rejected an Offer of Settlement presented by the employer.  The membership rejected the offer of settlement by a vote of 96%.  A provincial conciliation officer has arranged a meeting with the Union and Employer for December 5th in an attempt to conclude a collective agreement.  The parties will be in a legal strike/lockout position as of 12:01 am December 10, 2007 (this is the earliest date).

IF there is a strike, there will be no GO Bus service and customers would be forced to take alternatives, such as carpooling, taking the train, local transit, taxi or driving.

Please find attached a transportation contingency plan in the event of a strike, it includes a communication plan which I will initiate on Monday in order to pro-actively inform students to find alternative transportation options in the event of a labour disruption.  I have created a notice which can be communicated to provide community members with alternatives and options.

I will keep you up to date on any further developments of the potential strike.
If you have any further questions, concerns or suggestions, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Thank you,

Nicole Arsenault

Manager, Transportation Services
Campus Planning & Transportation Services
York University
4700 Keele St., Toronto, ON, M3J 1P3
t. 416.736.5866
f. 416.736.5653