Arianne,
    The PBS angle is a good one, although the request probably would
need to come from a station with some special Twain interest. Leading
candidates would be a station in a city or state that's home to a Twain
research center: say, KQED in San Francisco, Connecticut Public
Television (which runs WEDH in Hartford) and (yes, Hal) KCET in St.
Louis. Not every station in the Public Broadcast Service system produces
much or acquires much in the way of original programming, but these
three have and do. PBS isn't a network in the true sense. Its structure
is somewhat byzantine, with power wielded by the national offices in
Washington, D.C., the heavyweight stations (WNET in New York, WGBH in
Boston and WETA in Washington being three of the heaviest) and those
corporate sponsors. So this kind of effort works best when it starts at
a local level, driven by some compelling local interest. Then, if and
when it works there, it's offered to the entire PBS system. Another way
to approach this is through a university that's affiliated in some way,
perhaps on a consortium basis, with a PBS station. Documentaries
developed at a university, for instance, often find an initial home at a
PBS station affiliated with the university. Just thinking out loud here,
but, if KCET ever plans to rerun the Ken Burns documentary on Twain,
this would make a dandy acquisition for them. . . favorite son of
Missouri and all. . . with a little original introductory material on
either side. . . "and now, ladies and gentlemen, your host for the
evening, Hal Bush." Or it would be a good local effort around the time
each year that PBS airs the awarding of the Mark Twain Prize.
    I don't know how many conferences are in my future (I'm certainly
planning on attending the 2009 Elmira bash), but, wherever I go, it's a
pretty safe bet that a copy of "The Shape of the River" will go with me.
I may have even left behind a copy of it somewhere in Elmira (clumsy of
me), where I might have been found by the good people at the Center for
Mark Twain Studies. And it might be available there for screening by
Twain scholars, researchers and academics. It's possible.

And, Hal,
    I hate to shoot down anyone's dream, but Holbrook has turned down
every effort by every producer to draft him into a Mark Twain film or
television drama (including "The Shape of the River"). He always wants
to be responsible for the word choices he makes as Twain, and he'd
surrender that power to a producer or screenwriter if he signed on to
play Twain in someone else's concept. You can be sure that behind any
depiction of Twain on a movie or TV screen is a script with Hal's
fingerprints on it.  As Jason Robards said when he played Twain in the
Disney Channel's "Mark Twain and Me": "I'm glad Hal has that rule. He
has made a lot of work for the rest of us." Then again, maybe he'd make
an exception for Horton Foote and for this play. So, OK, go ahead and
fire up the dream again.