CIHR CAFÉ SCIENTIFIQUE PRESENTS:

Penny Wise, Pound Foolish: Costing the Cure for Obesity
Can we afford to act? Can we afford not to?

Wednesday, April 23rd, 2008, 5:30 p.m.
College Street Bar
574 College Street, Toronto
Please RSVP: [log in to unmask]

Obesity is one of today’s fastest growing public health and health care issues. In an effort to combat the epidemic of obesity, governments commit millions of dollars to the prevention and management of obesity-related chronic diseases. These resource allocations, however, are not always supported by evidence.  How do the experts determine whether the money spent on obesity treatment and prevention is worth the cost?

Join health research experts to share in lively discussion, debate, food and refreshments at College Street Bar. This event is free and presented by CIHR’s Institutes of Nutrition, Metabolism and Diabetes (INMD) and Health Services and Policy Research (IHSPR).

Arrive early, discussion starts at 5:30 p.m. sharp!

Experts:

Dr. Alan Shiell
CIHR Chair in the Economics of Population Health
University of Calgary, Canada

Dr. Klim McPherson
Public Health Epidemiology
Oxford University, UK

Dr. Robert Carter
Chair in Health and Human Services Economics
Deakin University, Australia

Dr. Steven Gortmaker
Practice of Health Sociology
Harvard School of Public Health, USA

Moderator:
Dr. Diane Finegood
Scientific Director
CIHR Institute of Nutrition, Metabolism and Diabetes

Contact: