Students:

I am leaving my post as undergraduate program director of the School of Health Policy and Management after 7 years.

Effective July 1, Dr. Peter Tsasis will assume this role.

If you have filled out a course completion form with me, I will be passing these on to him.

I have attempted to notify the registrar of all changes and course substitutions we have agreed upon, although it is important that you recall these if issues should arise.

I will NOT be leaving the school but will be teaching HLST 1010, HLST 3010, HLST 4130, HLST 2020, and HLST 3510 this year.

If you are continuing this year, note that HLST 3011, NURS 3500, and NURS 3740 are now NOT required courses.  The nursing courses can be taken as electives or can be replaced by ANY university course except for additional GEN ED offerings.

I urge Management and Informatics students to consider taking some of our offerings in Health Policy.  These will be useful in future employment and graduate school endeavours.

These courses include HLST 3110, HLST 3120, and HLST 3540.  They can be found here: http://www.atkinson.yorku.ca/SHPM/HLST2008.pdf

Best wishes and see you in September.

Dennis Raphael

Of related interest:

Poverty and Policy in Canada: Implications for Health and Quality of Life by Dennis Raphael
Foreword by Jack Layton
http://tinyurl.com/2hg2df

Staying Alive: Critical Perspectives on Health, Illness, and Health Care, edited by Dennis Raphael, Toba Bryant, and Marcia Rioux
Foreword by Gary Teeple
http://tinyurl.com/2zqrox

Social Determinants of Health: Canadian Perspectives, edited by Dennis Raphael
Foreword by Roy Romanow
http://tinyurl.com/yptzae

See a lecture!  The Politics of Population Health
http://msl.stream.yorku.ca/mediasite/viewer/?peid=ac604170-9ccc-4268-a1af-9a9e04b28e1d

Also, presentation on Politics and Health at the Centre for Health Disparities in Cleveland Ohio
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4129139685624192201&hl=en

Dennis Raphael, PhD
Professor, School of Health Policy and Management
York University
4700 Keele Street
Toronto ON M3J 1P3
416-736-2100, ext. 22134