Sorry - premature send.  Here's what I meant to say:

Yes - and Hawaii is a distinct outlier in Kawachi / Kennedy /
Subramanian publications related to several
ways of looking at socioeconomic position (e.g., income) inequality and
health related outcomes (mortality, self-rated
health, etc.) in multi-level analyses of US states.  Yet, if one breaks
that down to subgroups in the population, race &
ethnicity still do matter.  Here is where Hawaii's specific context and
social history of Hawaiian dispossession and
sovereignty loss, successive waves of immigrant labor recruitment (which
group came when to do what), etc.
become important.  (see later works, e.g., Subramanian SV, Kawachi I.
<http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16338630?ordinalpos=4&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum>Whose
health is affected by income inequality?
A multilevel interaction analysis of contemporaneous and lagged effects
of state income inequality on
individual self-rated health in the United States. Health Place. 2006
Jun;12(2):141-56. Epub 2005 Jan 18.
PMID: 16338630
<http://sfx.hul.harvard.edu/sfx_local?__char_set=utf8&id=pmid:16338630&sid=libx:hul.harvard&genre=article>

Also, besides a somewhat better public policy on health insurance
coverage and access to health care (more inclusive),
Hawaii is also distinct in having a public education system founded by
the sovereign nation of Hawaii (when it was
a democratic, representative parlimentary government with a popularly
elected lower House).  It has always been funded
not from local property taxes, but from the central government.  In US
state public education system rankings
Hawaii gets an "A" for equality of public education support/funding
across the state.

-- Alice Furumoto-Dawson
PS: disclosure - I'm originally from Hawaii, so I'm not a disinterested
party.