Fellow Twain folks:

Long time listener, first time caller.... As I was moving around some piles
of paper this morning, pretending to be productive before classes begin
tomorrow, I riffled past some photocopies of the introduction to Jocelyn
Chadwick's *The Jim Dilemma, *leftovers from last year's juniors' reading of
*Huckleberry Finn*. I smiled recalling those kids last year and our reading
and discussions, recalling too Ms. Chadwick's powerful discussion with a
group of teachers a few summers back at the Mark Twain House. That done, I
just now finished catching up on the list's conversation, with Camy's
question and its several responses, including Ms. Chadwick's. Clearly,
though we often *are* a damned human race, maybe even usually, we're not
that way this morning, here in this space.

Patrick Joseph Clements
Teacher
Peddie School
Hightstown, NJ