Saturday seems to have been made for mowing the lawn,...

I like Twain's philosophy of consenting to lend his neighbor
his lawn mower, as long as he used it in Twain's yard.  Probably
won't help Hal much today, however.

A quick Google of the subject yielded some interesting results
and a link the length of a bible:

_http://books.google.com/books?id=pVvmrDZftNYC&pg=PA187&lpg=PA187&dq=louise+
br
ownell+%2Bsusy+clemens+%2Bletters&source=web&ots'ogbEYNtI&sig=LrUY-Ke6eq-RJB
nBUCCzF4ytC-Q&hl=en&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=1&ct=result_
(http://books.google.com/books?id=pVvmrDZftNYC&pg=PA187&lpg=PA187&dq=louise+
brownell++susy+cleme
ns++letters&source=web&ots'ogbEYNtI&sig=LrUY-Ke6eq-RJBnBUCCzF4ytC-Q&hl=en&sa
=X&oi=book_result&resnum=1&ct=result)

Many of the letters exist.  Most can be found, apparently, in  the
Hamilton College library.  Some were gifts from Clara to  Caroline
Thomas Harnsberger.

For those interested, I searched louise brownell +susy clemens  +letters.

I have only included the one link here, but there are many more  avenues
to explore.

Best regards,

Roger Durrett
Charlotte, NC

PS:  In response to Camy's initial inquiry, I do recall that at some  point
       Twain "discovered," or at least  came to believe, that his girls were
       afraid of him.  Whether that  was a result of his mercurial fits of
temper
       or some other distancing  factor would require delving into some
books.
       Not averse to that, of course,  but,...the back lawn needs mowing.