Thanks Jordan - I am not familiar with the Health Inequalities Matrix but there are some existing works drawing on critical realism that offer useful perspectives for conceptualizing SoDH and how health and assocoated inequalities are generated.

See:

1. Forbes A, Wainwright SP. On the methodological, theoretical and philosophical context of health inequalities research: a critique. Social Science and Medicine 2001;53:801-16.

2. Wainwright SP, Forbes A. Philosophical problems with social research on health inequalities. Health Care Analysis 2000;8:259-77.

I also wrote a response to Michael Marmort in JAMA drawing on CR, here:

3. Clark A, Lissel S. Status Syndrome. JAMA 296: 395-396.2006.

For a CR-driven critique of evaluation - see Pawson and Tilley (1997) Realist evaluation. Sage, London.

As part of one of the government evaluations in the UK, I drew on CR to design the evaluation of the secondary prevention element of the Scottish National CHD Demonstration project:

5.Clark AM, MacIntyre PD, Cruickshank J. A critical realist approach to understanding and evaluating heart health programmes. Health 2007;11(4):513-39.

Finally - I would echo your frustration with the findings of the UK Parliamant report. Many of those designing the evaluations had jobs and funding dependent on keeping Ministers and Depts. of HM Government happy. That what was produced was not useful was entirely predicted by many involved and mostly related to the constraints and that the then representative of the Government themselves imposed.

Alex

AM Clark PhD BA (Hons) RN
Associate Professor, AHFMR Population Health Investigator, CIHR New Investigator
International Institute Qualitative Methodology (IIQM) Affiliate Scholar

Room CSB 4-112
Faculty of Nursing University of Alberta, Edmonton, AB. Canada
T6G2G3
Tel:  001 780 492 8347
Fax: 001 780 492 2551