fyi - for responding to the current crisis and going beyond it. I also
highly recommend the books Paul Farmer has written about "Pathologies of
Power", and "Infections and Inequalities".  Plus, the National
Conference of Black Lawyers has posted on its listserve some addtl NGO's
to consider, again for both immediate responses and the long-term:
So make sure that you give donations to organizations that have a strong
track record and are accountable, and have a long term vision for
combating inequality and exploitation in Haiti. I will personally
recommend three IJDH (Institute for Justice & Democracy in Haiti)
collaborators, Partners in Health <http://www.pih.org/>, the Haiti
Emergency Relief Fund <http://haitiaction.net/About/HERF/HERF.html> and
the What If? Foundation <http://whatiffoundation.org/>, but there are
many more organizations worthy of support.

We deeply appreciate the generosity of everyone who has responded to the
earthquake by contributing to IJDH and BAI. When the dust settles we
will need funds to repair the office and help staff members get back on
their feet, including one who lost everything but his family when his
house collapsed. And although we do not do disaster relief work, we do
do /disaster prevention/: all of our legal and advocacy work is designed
to help our clients, and the poor of Haiti in general, to reduce the
danger from natural, economic and political disasters through the
enforcement of their rights to clean water, healthcare, education and
fair treatment in the courts.

 -- Alice Furumoto-Dawson