----- Forwarded by Regina Pinto/fs/YorkU on 03/12/2010 09:42 AM -----
Jackqueline Robb <[log in to unmask]>

03/11/2010 04:45 PM

undisclosed-recipients:;
cc
Subject
Brock - Intro. to Community Health Sciences spring course

Good day,

For the first time, the Department of Community Health Sciences will be offering our first-year Introduction to Community Health Sciences full credit course (CHSC 1F90) in the spring.
CHSC 1F90
Introduction to Community Health Sciences
Issues and controversies in the area of health. Aspects of health status, determinants of health and personal health.

The course will run for 2 WEEKS only, in a Monday-Friday full day format, with exams on the Saturday of each week.  Two topics will be covered each day, with a seminar for each in addition to the regular lecture period.

If you have any students from the Niagara area, or who are willing to commute/stay over for this period, this is a great opportunity to complete a full credit via LETTER OF PERMISSION!  Students will receive more contact hours using this delivery method than in the regular September - April session!  This is a great elective for anyone interested in health; and is a requirement for all first year Health students at Brock.

Dates: May 3-7 and May 10-14

Daily Schedule:
9-9:50 (TOPIC 1)
10-10:50 (TOPIC 1)
11-11:50 (TOPIC 1 SEMINAR)
--------------------------------------
12-12:50 (LUNCH BREAK)
--------------------------------------
1-1:50 (TOPIC 2)
2-2:50 (TOPIC 2)
3:3:50 (TOPIC 2 SEMINAR)
--------------------------------------
4-4:50 (TEST PREP PERIOD)
5-5:50 (TEST ON TOPIC 1 AND 2)

Exams: May 8 and 15 (2-5pm)

Course Evaluation:
Seminar Participation – 20% (Each seminar worth 1%)
Daily tests – 30% (each test is worth 3%)
Exam 1 – 25%
Exam 2 – 25%

Any inquires can be directed to: [log in to unmask]

Please pass this information onto any students inquiring about taking courses at other institutions, and feel free to forward to other advisors/coordinators who may find this information useful.

We are also running a fourth year Clinical Epidemiology (CHSC 4P99) half-credit course in the same format over one-week.  It will run from May 10 – 14 with an exam on Saturday May 15.
CHSC 4P99
Clinical Epidemiology
Description and principles of clinical epidemiology. Decision-making strategies for implementing and evaluating clinical research.

Prerequisite – 3rd year Biostatistics or sufficient background in Research Methods/Stats and/or study design.

Inquiries can be directed to me – [log in to unmask]

In addition we are offering the following in the regular 5-week terms:
CHSC 2P21 – Health of Canadian Society
June 7 – July 9, exam on July 10
Tues/Thurs evenings

CHSC 4P51 – Current Public Health Issues of the HIV/AIDS Pandemic
May 3 – June 4 (in-class exam)
Mon/Wed evenings

Thank you,

Jackie
Jackie Robb, BA (Hons.)
Undergraduate Program Coordinator & Academic Advisor, AS 322
Brock University  |  Department of Community Health Sciences
Niagara Region  |  500 Glenridge Ave.  |  St. Catharines, ON L2S 3A1
brocku.ca  |  T 905 688 5550 x4790  |  F 905 688-8954